Lentil Keema Pav Casserole! 1 Pan Handsfree! A time consuming mince meat curry with dinner rolls, made into an easy-to-make, one-pot meal! It all comes together in a single pan. Think spiced and super flavorful Indian Sloppy joes. Gluten-free option[feast_advanced_jump_to]
Keema is an Indian minced meat curry. There are many variations depending on the region, like this Madras Keema, Green Keema, North Indian Keema naan. This version is well-timed from the famous Mumbai keema Pav, which is a super flavorful street style keema served with fresh toasted and buttered dinner rolls. Think super flavorful and spicy Sloppy joes style sandwich. I often use lentils as a meat substitute for the ground meat in keema. Walnuts add unconfined texture as well.
Making This Indian Street style sloppy joes – Mumbai Keema Pav, from scratch can be a task. BUT I Torch it all up in 1 PAN!
Bake whole spices and aromatics until golden, then add lentils walnuts and sauces and torch , then top with the dinner rolls and broil. Done!
There are a tuft of spices for the traditional flavor, use whatever you have, it will turn our flavorful and delicious!. Moreover for ease of using, think all spices as one ingredient, and it will be just 8 ingredients for the whole dish!
Normally, you’d simmer lentils from dry on the stovetop, but in this recipe, we are cooking them in the oven. You will still start with dry lentils, but you’ll torch them with liquid and flavorful keema spices right in the sultry pan.
They come out tasty and tender! With no need to stand virtually the kitchen to sautĂ© the spices and to alimony an eye on the lentils!
Then, instead of making the pav — a soft, Indian specie — from scratch, we are using hot dog buns or pillowy dinner rolls. The buns have a similar texture, and we will skim them with melted vegan butter and spices to requite them an wondrous flavor.
You can make just the Aleena lentils and serve with bread, naan or rice. It is succulent every which way!
Why You’ll Love Keema Pav Casserole
- One-pan meal made in 1 Casserole dish
- Soyfree, hands made nutfree glutenfree
- Easy to make.
- Packed with flavor.
- Topped with pillowy, velvety bread.
More Vegan Lentil Recipes
- Vietnamese-Inspired Caramelized “Pork” Lentils
- Handi Lentils
- Creamy Vegan Curry Lentils
- Red Lentil Sweet Potato Curry
- Lentil Curry Casserole
Lentil Keema Pav Casserole (vegan mince curry specie bake)
- 9×12" sultry pan
For the lentil keema:
- 2 teaspoons oil
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1 black cardamom pod partly unshut (or use 2 untried cardamom pods partly open)
For the aromatics:
- 1 medium red onion chopped
- 6 garlic cloves
- 1 inch ginger
- 1 green chili
- 1/4 cup cilantro stems
For the ground spices:
- 1/4 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 tablespoon coriander powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon dried fenugreek leaves, Kasuri methi
- 1/2 – 1 teaspoon garam masala
- 1/4 teaspoon dried dill
- 1/4 teaspoon dried sage
For the lentils:
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 3 cup veggie stock or increasingly if needed
- 3/4 cup dried lentils washed and soaked for 15 minutes
- 1/4 cup frozen peas and carrots mix
- 1/4 cup coarsely chopped walnuts
- 3 tablespoons non-dairy yogurt or cashew cream
- 3/4 teaspoon salt, divided
To top the keema lentils:
- 4 vegan hot dog buns or 8 dinner rolls
- melted vegan butter or oil as needed
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- Cilantro and lemon juice for garnish
- Cook whole spices: Preheat the oven to 400ÂșF. Place a 9×12â sultry dish in the oven to heat up while the oven is preheating. Once hot, remove the sultry dish thoughtfully from the oven, add the oil and whole spices, mix well, and set it aside.
- Bake the aromatics: Add the onion, garlic, ginger, untried chili, and cilantro stems to a supplies processor, and process until everything is finely chopped. Then add this mixture to the whole spices mixture. Add the ground spices and 1/2 teaspoon salt, mix really well, and plane them out. Torch for 15-18 minutes in the preheated oven, stirring once in between.
- Once the mixture is somewhat golden, remove the sultry dish from the oven and add the tomato paste, yogurt, and veggie stock, and mix really well.
- Bake the lentils: Add the tuckered lentils, peas, carrots, walnuts, and the remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt and mix in. Plane it out and imbricate it with parchment paper. Torch in the oven for 1 hour. Brown lentils take a little bit of time to cook.
- Check at the 50-minute mark to see if the lentils are cooked to your preference, and if you need increasingly liquid. add increasingly warm water or stock (roughly 1/2 -1 cup).
- Once the lentils are cooked to your preference, remove the sultry dish from the oven.
- Halve the hot dog buns or dinner rolls and place on top of the lentil mixture and skim them with oil or melted vegan butter. Sprinkle salt, paprika, and place the sultry dish when in the oven to torch until the specie is golden, 10-12 minutes.
- Remove it from the oven and add cilantro and lemon juice. Slice and serve immediately.
- keema spices – Indian Keema has an whiffy tousle of spices including cumin and cardamom that lends and incredible savor to lentils! Here, you’re using individual spices to make the keema mix, so no worries well-nigh having to buy a special spice mix.
- aromatics – Onion, garlic, ginger, chilis, and cilantro depend the seasoning of this vegan lentil casserole.
- lentils – We are using zestless lentils here and sultry them in veggie stock and tomato paste until tender as a substitute for the meat
- non-dairy yogurt – This makes the sauce creamy. You can use cashew surf instead, if needed.
- walnuts – You torch the walnuts with the lentils for widow meaty texture, flavor, and protein. Use sunflower seeds for nutfree
- hot dog buns or dinner rolls – This is your cheater pav! Use gluten-free buns for a gf variation.
- To make this ahead, make the lentil mixture and alimony the dinner rolls separately until ready to serve and then place the dinner rolls on top of the lentil casserole, skim with the oil, and torch as needed. You can moreover just make the lentil mixture and alimony the dinner rolls separately to serve individually as needed.
- To make this nut-free, omit the walnuts.
- To make this recipe gluten-free, use gluten-free dinner rolls or some gluten-free tortillas or flatbread to serve it.
How to Make Keema Pav Casserole:
Preheat the oven to 400Âș F, and place a 9×12â sultry dish in the oven to heat up while the oven is preheating. Once the oven is hot, thoughtfully remove the sultry dish, add the oil and whole spices. Mix well, and set it aside.
Add the onion, garlic, ginger, untried chili, and cilantro stems to a supplies processor, and process until everything is finely chopped.
If you have a smaller supplies processor, like I do, process the onion, garlic, ginger, and chili first, then add the cilantro stems.
Then, add this mixture to the whole spices mixture in the sultry pan.
Add the ground spices and 1/2 teaspoon of salt, mix really well, and plane everything out.
Bake for 15-18 minutes in the preheated oven, stirring once in between.
Once the mixture is somewhat golden, remove the sultry dish from the oven and add the tomato paste, yogurt, and veggie stock, and mix really well.
Add the tuckered lentils, peas, carrots, walnuts, and remaining salt and mix in. Plane it out and imbricate it with parchment paper. Torch in the oven for one hour.
Check at the 50-minute mark to see if the lentils are cooked to your preference and moreover if you need increasingly liquid. Add increasingly warm water or stock (1/2 to one cup).
Once the lentils are cooked to your preference, remove the sultry dish from the oven.
Halve the hot dog buns or dinner rolls and place on top of the lentil mixture and skim them with oil or melted vegan butter.
Sprinkle salt, paprika, and place the sultry dish when in the oven to torch until the specie is golden. This should take virtually 10-12 increasingly minutes.
Remove it from the oven and add cilantro and lemon juice. slice and serve immediately.
Frequently Asked Questions
Yes! Just omit the walnuts.Â You can add some coarsely crushed sunflower seeds as substitute.
To make this recipe gluten-free,Â use gluten-free dinner rolls or some gluten-free tortillas or flatbread to serve it.
The post Lentil Keema Pav Casserole (Vegan Mince Curry specie bake) appeared first on Vegan Richa.